I wanted a little free sewing time to play and create something different. With an already overflowing bin of fabric strips, I had my materials all set. I didn’t want to do the classic string block, so I went digging for ideas. Using Pinterest, I found this photo of a “scrap vortex” quilt from Quiltdivajulie, which became my direction (see photo at the bottom of my post). Julie, wherever you are, this quilt must have been quite the project!! Controlled chaos was just what I needed, but I wasn’t about to cut my strips into tiny pieces as Julie had done. I tend not to like lots of colors all together. It’s a preference that I hope to work on one day, but for now, I went with single-colored blocks to keep the scrappiness a little less wild and crazy.
I divided my multi-colored scraps into separate colors. I gathered fabric strips with the same size in width and attached them together. I made the rows roughly 17-18″ until the block neared a square. With a little starch, I ironed each block being careful to keep the seams flat. Finally, I used my rotary cutter to trim each colored block to 16 inches square. I have made 10 blocks (our of 14) but needed to stop and take a break. I still have purple and pink strings to sew, but they will happen soon.
Here are my blocks in progress. Keeping the strips vertical and even is something I’m not great at yet. I trimmed and pressed the red block half-way through sewing and as a result, those bunnies are now marching down a hill. I’m no perfectionist, but I can see that the strips are looking straighter. There’s hope for me yet!